Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Stand up eight

A life long cribbage tournament : to date : 2 games
played (in 1998) : score 1 - 1.

Finishing the crossword, in ink, before my second
cup of coffee.

Easily distinguish between the Charlies; Mingus &
Parker. Also : Elias Koteas & Christopher Meloni, John
Heard & William Hurt, Pat Hingle & Art Hindle.

Smoke & Variety : the musical.

That moment : it has happened only once so far : surprised
by sunlight when leaving a movie theatre.

Learn to throw a punch & take one.

Hearing your giggle from across the room.

Look a man wearing sandals in the eye & not
cast judgment.

Knowing that F. will laugh when she reads : Smoke &
Variety : the musical : spinning of the chair will likely ensue.

Someone kissing me first.

I will forgive you : we will not be friends but will fondly
recall the time you shoplifted cough drops : I was so
miserable & we didn't have enough pocket change : or
when I dropped my house keys down a sewer grate : city
workers arrived with a rope & large round magnet
to search the sludge.

Endings that aren't really endings.

Semper alacer : aliquando sinistra.

A brioche from Claude's : garlic soup : road dogs &
champagne : a root beer sipped slowly outside a car wash :
looking at a full moon through glass : stories read aloud
while wrapped tightly in a sleeping bag : a window seat
with the perfect view of snow falling past street lights : repeat.

4 Comments:

Blogger Henry Brock said...

Hmmm... do I dare use a sports metaphor?? This one's a home run! A fine poem, well done.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Deanna McFadden said...

I like this poem a lot. Think that it uses lists and memory in a very interesting way, a sort of inside joke, but in the beauty of friendship kind of way, not in the 'I'm laughing but no one else is' kind of way.

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very good one, there! Style comment: I am enjoying the use of semi-colons.

11:58 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm spinning on my chair! Wheeee-ahahahahaha-wheeeee-thunk-ouch-wheeeeeeehahahaha!!!!!

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home